Today, citizens of Turkey are called to vote in a referendum on whether to change the type of regime in Turkey or not. This is an interesting question for any society. Debates on, and if...
Call to participate in the Day of Action
We want to ask you to take part in the Decentralised European Day of Action against TTIP/TiSA and CETA on the 11 October this year.
A coalition of many Civil Society Organisations in Europe is calling for this Day of Action for all over Europe. EU Trade Commissioner DeGucht always dismisses criticism by saying, that most of the EU citizens would be in favor of the agreement. Lets show him that we are against it and we are everywhere!
What can you do?
- Get some ideas for what TTIP/TISA/CETA are about!
- About Trade in general
- Short info about TTIP from Jeunes Ecologists and FYEG
- Read our resolution from our last General Assembly which is attached and you can find it on our website.
Get in contact with your local networks against TTIP.
- Here and here you can find some organisations that are involved in the work against TTIP/CETA and TiSA
- Here you can find actions that are already planned (not too many yet, so you can create more)
Plan your own Action
- Engage in your local group to do an action against these trade agreements. You can use an action that we proposed in the election campaign. Find them below under `PS´
- Inform your Members about this Day of Action and ask them to join them You could translate this email in your language and send it to your membership You can be much more creative than this boring email :)
Show us what you did
- We would love to know, if you plan something, please inform us If you have pictures from your actions, we would be happy if you could share them with us
- These trade agreements are pushing the interests of big business against our rights. They are not about trade, they are about democracy, environmental and social standards, privatisation and about global justice. Lets stop them!
Note on the general activities:
Our Executive Committee has just finished its retreat and we came up with many ideas. As we decided on our General Assembly, we want to use the next year for a campaign against the upcoming trade agreements, TTIP, CETA, TiSA. All of these agreements will have terrible impacts on our anyway bad state of democracy, but there are many more bad aspects to them. The campaign will consist of two aspects:
- information campaign to get all young greens in Europe well prepared for the upcoming debates and struggles
- collecting signatures to support the European Citicen´s Intiative against TTIP and CETA
- occasionally we want to inform you also about common actions of the European movement against these Trade agreements.
Thanks for considering taking part in these actions!
Julia and Micha
PS: Here the Action Suggestions
Name: No TTIP
Number of people: Large group
Material: 2 (camping) tables, stuff to put on the tables, flyers on TTIP, information on GMO products, banners, paints
How/What: Place two tables on the streets, on one of them, put a basket with some local food and some different signs, held up by people saying “local organic food”, “labour standards”, “consumer’s protection”, Have a sign “Europe without TTIP”. On the other table there are pictures of GMO food, and writings like “free banks”, “chlorified chicken”, “infrastructure privatization” etc. Have the sign “Europe TTIP”. Ask pedestrians, which one they like more, and give them some flyers/ info material. You can tell them also about the position of the Greens on TTIP.
TTIP: How low can you go.
Number of People: About 10
Material: one limbo-stick; Music; people dressed as persons involved in TTIP negotiations. A banner which says “TTIP: How low can you go”
How/What: Persons that are involved in the TTIP negotiations (e.g. Obama/Jean Claude Juncker/Your own Government (if Greens are not in Government :P) hold a stick on which it is written one or more of “Environmental Standards; Social Standards; Democracy”. People dance Limbo and try to go under the limbo stick. The bad guys are lowing the stick in a way that the ones who try to dance under it fall. Dont forgot to invite the press; take good pictures, bring some information material.
You can see a video where we did the action here.